Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The Perfect Game

Today is the day that the first perfect game was pitched by John Lee Richmond in 1880. I have to admit that I had to look up what a perfect game was. It's a game where a pitcher pitches a nine inning game where no players make it to a base. I'm not much of a baseball fan, but even I recognize that this is something pretty difficult to achieve. I would imagine it takes practice, and a lot of work.

When I read about the perfect game, I was reminded of a story someone told me about their job. She told me that they can have a perfect run at work. She informed me that a perfect run was a run where the machines didn't jam once while they were running them. She told me that she was partnered with someone everyone hated to work with the day she made that run. The person she was paired with was an older individual, and they all complained about her.

As we discussed the run, the individual told me that she was surprised that she made that run while she working with the older co-worker. But then she replied that at that time she realized that the older worker really did know how to do the work properly. 

When I thought about the perfect game, I thought about how practice and hard work had enabled this older worker to do the job correctly. And I thought about how often we discount all of those individuals who may really know how to do things properly.




No comments:

Post a Comment