Friday, June 9, 2017

Learning Disability or Vision Problem?

I received my first pair of eyeglasses when I was in the third grade. And it made a huge difference in my school work. So I was really surprised when I read that there are children who are thought to have a learning disability when all they need is a pair of glasses.

It is really difficult to pay attention when you simply can't see what is going on. I remember just not being able to see what was written on the black board. I was fortunate my third grade teacher was excellent. And I was not classified with behavioral issues, but unfortunately some kids are.

Signs of Vision Problems

If your child is squinting, closing or covering one eye you may want to head to the eye doctor. I remember having to squint to see the black board. It didn't matter how hard I tried to see what was up there, I just couldn't see it to read it.

Constantly holding books, papers and other materials close to the face. For many individuals with vision problems holding something closer makes it easier to see. If I don't have my glasses on, I have to hold items right up to my face to read it. It's a big sign you see your child do this.

Sometimes light can make it easier for someone to see. If your child is tilting their head to one side or other they may just be trying to get a different view of an object.

There are times when you can your eyes and things become a little less blurry. But most of the time that doesn't work. But some children will rub their eyes repeatedly throughout the day in order to try and get things to focus in.

Eyes that are turning out. I had a friend in high school that had a lazy eye. It can be fairly easy to remedy with a pair of good glasses.

And then redness and tearing on a regular basis. These both can be signs of tired eyes. 

Remember that school exams only hit the surface. If the exam points out a problem, take your child to an eye doctor.


No comments:

Post a Comment